Tuesday, January 20, 2009

President Obama



I did post an entry below about Peru, but I had to add something to share my joy about the events of the day. It feels like no matter who people voted for, everyone recognizes and respects the importance of this election and hopefully can have some degree of optimism about the next 4 years. Today, I had an appointment and got done shortly before the inauguration speech at noon. Chris was waiting for me and at 11:45, we rushed desperately around looking for a place to watch the speech. The first two bar/restaurants we popped into were both very crowded, with only standing room and we couldn't really hear the TV. I guess we weren't the only ones who wanted to watch! Finally, at 12:04, we went into Tribeca Tavern knowing that it was pretty much our last resort. They were just introducing President Barack Obama. We watched with the rest of the people in there - not very crowded, there were not two convenient seats in front of the TV and we didn't move any, just stood near the wall. Everyone in the place just watched, captivated, for the next half hour. There was not one sound. We all shared such a wonderful moment - I told Chris later it really felt magical. I teared up just a little bit. I loved the speech, I loved the poem, I even loved the benediction. I liked Michelle's dress although the bartender was not shy later in her dislike for the dress.

Afterward Mabel joined us



at The Blind Tiger (recently listed by Beer Advocate as one of the country's best beer bars, so we had to check it out) for a lunch of grilled cheese and tomato soup.



And, of course, beer.





Tonight we watched the First Couple dance at the Neighborhood Inauguration Ball. It is so touching to see the love Barack and Michelle have for each other.

Just had to share this moment with everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment