Friday, January 16, 2009

Peru trip, day one! Dec 30, 2008

We got up and got out the door only a little later than planned. We drove about 90 minutes north of manhattan to drop Lilly off at The Pet Camp, where she'll be spending the next 10 days. They were very friendly and immediately showered her with treats. I can tell she'll have a lot of fun here and get lots of attention and exercise.

We made it to laguardia with plenty of time to spare and had no problems on the flight from Laguardia to Miami.





Once we were in Miami, there was delay after delay.





The Miami airport is very nice with cool artwork everywhere! Lots of these multiple fish things.



Our flight was supposed to leave around 430, and about 9pm they told us that the flight was delayed until 10 the next morning. They started giving out hotel vouchers. There were a stressful couple of hours while we tried to figure out what to do about a domestic flight in peru that was supposed to leave at 8 the next morning. The flight was from Lima to a small town, they only had a couple of flights per day, and we were going there for a 2 day jungle tour package. We had already booked both domestic flights so it became very frustrating to change things around but we got everything sorted out and it worked out well. We decided to stay in a hotel in Lima for the night and delay the jungle trip by one day. Chris was smart enough to pack socks and underwear in his carry on, but not me, even though I usually do! They said it would take up to a couple of hours to get my luggage back out. By the time we got the flights sorted out and the shuttle took us to the hotel, it was after 10. We had a late night snack with our dinner voucher and watched sitcoms on tv. The weather there was very pleasant, about 71 degrees.





I think the highlight of this day was that while we wandered around Miami airport (for hours and hours) we discovered a bar that serves Sam Adams Cherry Wheat on tap. I've never seen this before! I had only seen the cherry wheat in bottles, and it is one of my favorites. So that was a big plus for the delay.

Tip of the day: ALWAYS pack a spare pair of underwear and your toothbrush in your carry on!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I started at the end and read to the beginning. DOH! So some of the references I missed until later. I will now comment on the rest of the posts, lol. Guess what? Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is one of my all time favorites too! I have it in my beer fridge right now!

    ReplyDelete