Saturday, December 13, 2008

An ethical dilemma

I have had a busy week! I did a presentation on Friday, and I have another one on Tuesday. I have been working on putting those together. The other thing I've been working on this week is getting Christmas cards out. (As my mom and future mother-in-law are well aware, having received dozens of calls and emails requesting various family and friends' addresses as well as spelling of names.) After two trips to Staples for printer ink, three trips to two different post offices, two trips to the photo processing lab, waiting two weeks for the cards we ordered online to arrive, and three separate unsuccessful attempts at ordering photos online, I am happy to say that the cards (and their enclosures!) are IN THE MAIL. If I spelled your name wrong, or got anything else wrong, I'm sorry!! Please tell me so I can get it right next time! Anyway, this is a huge relief for me. There are still about 5 people whose addresses I'm waiting on, but those will hopefully go out soon.

On to the ethical dilemma. When we bought stamps at the post office this week, we bought 8 books of very cute stamps with big hearts on them. I asked for 8 books, and she had to go to a couple of different registers to get enough. I paid for 8. But when we got home and counted them, we had 9! I didn't know what to do. To be honest, I'm not that worried about the post office and their financial stability after giving me eight dollars worth of free stamps. But I really didn't want to get the cashier in trouble. It was really cold out that day, and we had other stuff we were working on. So we didn't take them back. By the next day, I thought it might be too late. Does anybody know if she would get in trouble for missing one book of stamps? When she got them from the other cashiers, they didn't seem to make any notation of it, from what I can remember. Anyway I guess I am past going back to give them back. I guess I'm just trying to figure out how guilty I should feel and what my karmic retribution will be.

If you feel guilty when you receive your card - don't worry, I didn't use all the stamps. I still have two full books and one of those is definitely the "extra" one, so all the cards I've sent out so far have stamps I paid for.

No comments:

Post a Comment