Monday, March 23, 2009

Food - YUM

Chris and I have been eating pretty well recently. I'll start with the weekend before last. We ate at S'mac, a restaurant we've been wanting to try for quite awhile. It is really close to us, but somehow we hadn't made it down there till Friday night. It was delicious! This is a whole restaurant based around different styles of mac and cheese. So brilliant.



I had the Cajun ( cheddar, pepper jack, andouille sausage, green pepper, onions, celery, garlic: awesome) and Chris had the Alpine (gruyere + slab bacon: awesome). I pretty much want to try everything on the menu, so we'll definitely be going back there.



We've been working on a project for awhile of scanning in all the old recipes that I've been tearing out of magazines. Last year, I had frequent flier miles with an airline I never use that were about to expire, and I was able to use them to get magazine subscriptions. Some of the ones we picked were Gourmet, Bon Appetit, and Martha Stewart Living. You can guess that there were a LOT of recipes. We've got a lot done but there are still many more in various piles. Anyway it is very inspiring to see all these recipes. I have been cooking a fair amount this past week. On Monday, I really wanted to make Rasberry Duck.





But the recipe calls for duck breast, and the only duck they had at the grocery store was whole duck. I didn't want to deal with that. I decided to do the same thing with chicken. We have lots of chicken breasts as we buy them at costco and freeze them - super handy. But then I couldn't find demi-glace. I don't know what this is but I've heard of it, and I was surprised I didn't see it with other sauces at the store. Fine - instead I made chicken breasts with ginger chili sauce. I love that stuff. It came out fine.



I also made potato coins, pictured above with the duck. These came out awesome, and were really easy. The longest part was slicing the fingerling potatoes but if you had a slicer it would be super easy. They were silky and didn't have the starchy texture that potatoes usually have.



Another night we (actually mostly Chris) made buffalo chicken pizza, one of our favorite dishes. I use the recipe from allrecipes.com as above but we shred the chicken instead of cubing it. And C has his own fancy mix of sauce he makes that makes it DELICIOUS.

Last night I made mushroom consomme with puff pastry hats.





Mine definitely did not look like that. It was kind of a long process, not a ton of work but lots of waiting between steps, and basically what you get is mushroom soup. It wasn't bad, but I don't know if I would go through all that work again. While making the broth, you simmer finely chopped mushrooms and onions in water for an hour and a half, and then it says to squeeze all the water out through a filter and throw away the solids. But that stuff was good! I saved it and I'm going to use the extra puff pastry to make little pockets and put the mushroom stuff in there.

I also made pierogis. They came out pretty good, but kind of bland. We dipped them in the ginger chili sauce.





It says to buy egg roll wrappers but I couldn't find them so I made them. Surprisingly, it wasn't that hard. I'll have to do it again sometime and use them for egg rolls. Authentic Chinese Egg Rolls

Tonight I'm making these fish stick thingies - don't tell Chris, I like to surprise him.








Lilly would like me to add that she ate two delicious pieces of bread off the sidewalk today.

No comments:

Post a Comment