Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Food part 2

I made a couple of breakfast dishes that I sort of remember from Guatemala. One is a volcano - a piece of toast (Chris made bread a couple weeks ago and it has been great to use his homemade bread in all these dishes) as the base. On top of that, stack in this order:
black beans (blended smooth
guacamole (I made the guac, see below)
fried egg (Chris made them and left the yolks soft, yummy)
salsa
melted cheese (I melted it by putting it under the broiler after everything is assembled)
I should have taken a picture. It was really tasty.

Guacamole:
2 avocados
1/8 medium onion, chopped finely
2 cloves of garlic
fresh cilantro
jalapenos, chopped
a little jalapeno juice
squirt of lime juice
Just add the stuff to taste, i like very spicy and lots of cilantro. Yum!!

I also made french toast. I made it by slicing the bread on the thin side, then I put jelly between two slices to make one piece of toast. Then I dipped it in frothy egg whites before cooking it. That was pretty tasty.

Dessert. One of the highlights of my recent dessert-eating life is discovering Milk Bar.





This place is awesome. They make the most delicious pies, cookies, soft serve, and other yummy stuff.



One of my favorites is the cereal milk. They make it using real cereal, soaked in milk, and then add sugar and salt. It is so so so good! Is it something I could do at home? Probably. Do I feel guilty for spending $4 on something that I usually eat at breakfast anyway? Kind of. Do I go there to get some anyway? YES. They change their soft serve flavors every month, and last month they were all cereal milk flavors. I had to try one, luckily we made it in on Feb. 28.



I don't know what they have this month. The other most delicious thing there is the candy bar pie. You have to try it. It is so amazingly good.


I also made berry and toffee chocolate treats







and key lime thumbprints.



I am dying to make banana split bombe



but without reading the recipe I didn't save the rest of the banana cake recipe, which is part of the bombe. I'll have to find the magazine at a library or something, I think it is from last summer. Although all the ingredients are probably there. It can't be that hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment