Thursday, November 13, 2008

Homebrew

I love brewing beer! It is a hobby chris and I picked up almost a year ago. The brewing process sometimes gets a bit tedious, but we're rewarded with delicious beer that we actually make ourselves using the simple beer ingredients: water, malt, hops, and yeast. And occasionally, a few extra additions.

We used to have a homebrew store in Burlington that we went to: http://vermonthomebrew.com/default.aspx

But now we order online from www.northernbrewer.com. We love this site and highly recommend it. We have made several of the kits and I'll try to review them all.

On Friday we were able to taste Duke Alt for the first time.
German for "old," this ale predates lagers and has remained a beloved institution in northern German cities like Hanover and Dusseldorf. It has since been adopted by brewers around the world. Carry on the tradition in your home brewery with this kit. Our Alt is a deep red-brown ale with a great balance between hop dryness and sweet malt.
I usually have a good time with the labels but I guess my creative juices were not flowing when I made this one:


I do have to say that the beer was delicious. I can't wait to drink more! I'm afraid this one will go fast.

This week we brewed The Innkeeper. I am really looking forward to it - here's the description:
Thirty six major awards. Four-time Brewers International Champion. Four-time CAMRA Beer of the Year. Simply put, the muse for this kit has won more awards than any other English beer, period. From very simple ingredients comes a wonderfully well- balanced dram. Spicy, herbal, and English biscuits. Flashes of clean citrus and chewy minerals blend into a complex finish that is refreshingly bitter and remarkably dry. The way a pint was meant to taste. Truly spot on!

Chris has an idea for the label, which I can't wait to see!!

2 comments:

  1. So what will you call this beer when it is complete? Was Duke Alt it? I wasn't sure. I hope you save some of this one for me too! Or just make a new batch for when I come out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will have plenty of everything left for you jaz! Yes, we just left it Duke Alt.

    ReplyDelete