Saturday, December 12, 2009

Honeymoon, part 2 (where we compare the merits of the beach and the pool)

Okay! About time for some more honeymoon recap, since this was almost 2 months ago now! :)

We flew from Madrid to Las Palmas airport, on Gran Canaria, the largest island of the Canary Islands. (Spanish territory, off the coast of Morocco.)

We landed about 11 in the morning. We met the owner of the apartment where we stayed at the airport, where he gave us the key and told us a little bit about the apartment. He suggested we rent a car if we wanted to see more of the island. We had the (mistaken) impression that it would be really easy to rent bikes and we'd just ride them around to see things. Another (mistaken) impression was that the island was so small we would be able to get around the whole thing and explore a lot on the bikes. More about that later. Anyway, we hopped in a cab to see our honeymoon destination! I was really looking forward to the pool at the apartment complex, and I was not disappointed.





Most of our days were some mix of beach and pool.







I like the pool because it was less windy and less crowded, although I missed putting my feet in the sand. I also don't always like swimming in salty water, it stings my eyes and then i get a salty taste in my mouth.







Chris liked the beach because he loves to swim in the waves.



I like to swim but I like to alternate it with a lot of reading. I read 3 books and lots of magazines that week! Nothing work-related! (Well, almost nothing.) It was heaven!



The apartment complex we stayed in was a lot more mellow than some of the big resorts.



The main shopping area was next to that resort and about a 15 minute walk from our apartment. That was where we got groceries, and we also spent one day on the beach chairs there.



You had to pay to rent them, more with an umbrella. (Oh yeah, this is another reason I liked the pool - plenty of umbrellas to protect my fragile, pale skin.)



There were many windsurfers in this area. (I told you it was windy!) They offered lessons, and we considered doing this, but it would have cost us several hundred dollars so we decided that $$ was better spent elsewhere.



There was also a quieter beach area right next to our apartment complex, without chairs or umbrellas. This was nice because we went there on the cloudier days, and we could spend spend a couple hours laying in the sand without harsh sun.



When the sun came out, we just headed back up to the pool. And from the pool, Chris could head down to the beach anytime he wanted to tackle the waves!



Up next - our activities. It wasn't ALL just laying around on the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment